Italian passport

on Monday, July 21, 2008


I've had dual citizenship, American and Italian, for almost two years now. I officially became an Italian citizen September 1st, 2006 through marriage. After almost two years being too lazy to go down to the police station to apply for my Italian passport, I've finally done it. Picked up my Italian passport this morning. I went down to the police station two weeks ago today, was told my passport would be ready in two weeks. Sure enough, it was ready and waiting for me this morning.

Why did I wait almost two years to get my Italian passport? Up until now I haven't needed it so I figure why bother. Also, the Italian passport is more expensive compared to the American counterpart. I had to pay 44 euros and 66 cents for the passport, then an annual tax for every year I use it of 40 euros and 26 cents. So if I use it once a year for ten years, that's 402.60 euros in "taxes" plus the 44.66 I paid for the passport.

When I went down to the police station this morning to pick up my passport, the lady working normally works in the Foreigner office, she remembered me from the days when I had the Italian permit-to-stay so of course we had to chit chat for a couple of minutes. Jokingly she was like "Oh yes, that's right, you need the electronic passport to go to the United States.", knowing full well that I am American. I responded back "Yes, that's right, I forget that my American passport is sooo old."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

J.Doe said...

congratulations. my current application for Italian citizenship came up and passed so now I am just a tourist again.ntil I reapply that is.

Ann said...

Stupid question, what do you mean your application came up and passed? Did you have a certain length of time to get to the consulate to take the oath?

Anonymous said...

But you'll need your U.S. passport to enter the USA, right?

Ann said...

Yes that is correct. I exit and enter Italy on my Italian passport and enter and exit the United States on my U.S. passport. I have to use both when traveling between the United States and Italy

Anonymous said...

Same here, I have dual German/American, and have to use the corresponding one when entering each country.

It would be so much cheaper if people like us could just use one or the other and let the other expire... without giving up that citizenship, of course.

Ann said...

How expensive is the German passport?

That would be nice, only needing one passport. Too bad we can't combine the two passports into one.

A friend of ours' daughter was born with THREE passports. Passports from Canada, Italy and Venezuela.

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I don't know, I only have a German ID card which I think costs 12 Euros (or 18?) because we usually only travel within Europe if at all.

Oh. Duh. Uncle Google :-) tells me that a German passport costs 59 Euros.

Ann said...

Ah ok, at least cheaper than the Italian passport. Same with Italy, Italy also has the Identity Card, which is also used to travel within Europe and limited countries abroad, for example Egypt.

Thesis service said...

I've dual German/American, and have to use the corresponding one when entering each country.

Ann said...

Same for me, have to use both Italian and American passports when traveling between Italy and the United States.

Expat Traveler said...

Very interesting. I'm still waiting until I can even apply for citizenship, it will be roughly 7 years of being in Canada before I get mine...

Ann said...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, in order to obtain Canadian citizenship, you have to be in Canada for three years.

research paper help said...

what do you mean your application came up and passed? Did you have a certain length of time to get to the consulate to take the oath?

Dissertation writing help said...

Same here, I have dual German/American, and have to use the corresponding one when entering each country.

pclchiu1 said...

I have been waiting for my citizenship to be approved. it is is approved what happens next. Please can you kindly tell me the next step in this process. Thanks

coach outlet said...

Since discovering your site last year has become one of my favorites!, the articles and tutorials have something that adds a little extra or they aproach in a diferent perspective

mucheng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
longge said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dissertation Writing Help said...

Your blog is really helps for my search and amazingly it was on my searching criteria.. Thanks a lot..
Research Paper Help