Alpen Doch, Switzerland

on Monday, November 03, 2008

As promised here are some photos from our weekend in Lucerne Switzerland.  Today's photos are from Saturday of the area where our Bed and Breakfast was, near the village/town of Alpnach Dorf.  Stay tuned this week and I will be posting more photos of our trip to Lucerne Switzerland.  

We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast called The Schuermatt, which is located on a small farm that has cows, horses and a mule or two.  The owners, Josef & Madeleine, where very friendly, kind and hospitable.  My husband was the one that had to do all of the talking, since the owners speak German and French, neither language I know.  I think it's time I start studying one of the two languages, since we've been spending a lot of time in the French and German speaking parts of Switzerland.  

As you can see from the photos below, we were surrounded by mountains and it had snowed a couple of days earlier.  The air was so clean and crisp and the view was breathtaking.  The only sound we could hear was the occasional cow bells.  Saturday evening we had a delicious homemade cheese fondue for supper there at the Bed & Breakfast.  Breakfast yesterday morning consisted of sliced ham and roast beef, grapefruit juice, yougurt, bread, croissants, three different types of cheeses, jam and nutella, coffee and FRESH (we're talking fresh from the cow fresh) milk.  

If the occasional smell of manure puts you off or you're a city person, this place isn't for you.  But if you're searching for a down home type of place with everyday nice people, I suggest staying at The Schuermatt.  Just make sure if you're unable to speak German or French to have a dictionary with you.  Also, don't forget your GPS to get there.  The rooms are clean as is the shared bathroom.  They do have some cats and dogs, so if you're allergic to either one, best stay away.  The cats and dogs are not allowed onto the second floor where the guest rooms are located.  

If you're planning a trip to Switzerland and want to stay at a Bed and Breakfast, I would highly suggest checking out this website.  This is the site we found The Schuermatt on.  Seems to be the "official" listing of Bed and Breakfasts in Switzerland.  You can also buy a book of all of the listings also.










Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

magma3637 said...

hope can go to switzerland someday. (",)y

Hicham said...

Glad that you enjoyed your time there and the pics are sweet :)

Bev said...

No kidding about the snow! Which of the languages will you learn? I know what my choice would be... the smooth, sexy sounds of the French!!!!

I still haven't posted my photos of Bellinzona's castles, hopefully tomorrow. I'd like to link to your post when I do. Your photos add another dimension as my dear darling camera decided to croak that day.

Bev

Expat Traveler said...

Wow Ann what an incredible trip! I just love all of the photos and it brings back memories of my march trip, especially in the Interlaken area of Switzerland.

Expat Traveler said...

You know you sure are giving up a lot if you decide to move, no more shorter trips! :) I just checked out that b&b - so beautiful!